Sunday, December 21, 2008

Is It Enough To Just Have Faith?

I don't think so. I mean faith is of great importance, you really can't do much without it. However there are some who believe they can just have faith, and then sit on their butts and let the blessings start rolling in, without any effort.
Yeah, this post is kinda preachy, so if you've had your fill of Church, just keep on rolling. But before you go, open your mind to the possibility there may be something new you may learn, or some valuable input you can add.

James 2:14 askes the question: What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? Can faith save him?

I've plenty of friends and acquaintances of all religious back grounds who say it's enough to just believe. They are good people with much to contribute to the world. I am saddened for them because I feel they're wasting away. For whatever reason, they have no need or desire to be actively engaged in building up the kingdom of God.

Don't get me wrong, raising a righteous family, maintaining a strong and good family life and being a good citizen and not causing trouble are important. To which at the very least all should be working to do. But is is enough? For some it's all they can do. But for the majority of us, we're piggy backing on laziness if we justify ourselves as one of those.

Now some out there will undoubtably run to their scriptures (which I hope most will) and probably head over to Romans and/or Galations The bible teaches that salvation comes from faith. True Story Folks. Salvation does come from faith.
Romans 3:20 By the deeds of the law, there no flesh shall be justified in his sight.

Galations 3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith

Confusing? On one had, you must have faith because you aren't saved by deeds, right? On the other hand, Faith alone is not enough, without works, it is dead faith.

Could it be possible that faith is a two fold entity? I think so.
It's relatively easy to say " I have faith!" or "I believe" and know they have their salvation in the bag. I know alot of people like that, they pray, bless their food, say I believe, maybe listen to some church music on Sunday... and call it good
There is one scriptures that comes to my mind more often then most:
Matthew 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits,

I'm willing to be wrong, but for me, the truly faithful, will have actions guided by that faith. My sister uses this analogy you're in a park and come across a hungry homeless person and think to yourself "how sad. I will pray for them and I know the Lord will see they are taken care of." What a wonderful thing to pray for them. It is! They gave them exactly what they needed to survive another homeless/foodless day, you gave them the hope that someone else will bless them and a shout out to the Lord to send someone. But is it enough to have sympathy and condolences? Someone will get them food and find them shelter, I did my job in praying for it.
I believe this is the dead kind of faith being talked about in James: dead faith. For Faith without works, is dead.
Perhaps there is a living faith? A faith that requires actions? The faith that produces the "fruits" talked about in Matthew? You can see the evidence of truly faithful, because their actions are governed by it. And By their fruits, ye shall know them. You will see examples of it.

Let's go back and hang out with James again in chapter 2.
Vs 17 mentions: Even so faith, if has not works, is dead, being alone.
I believe that real salvation bring forth that living faith. The faith that bears living and working fruit. It takes some realkind of physical action on our part. One reason why we need a physical body to function on this earth, or else we could all just sit around in spirit praying and expressing condolences knowing we're saved and our salvation is sure. There would be no point in our existance.

How easy is it to show faith without works? I dare say those who have faith without works have very little... and are constantly struggling to obtain "fruits" that are constantly out of reach. There's a reason for it. I liken in to me and my job search.
I can sit on my butt all day and say "I Love the Lord, I am his daughter, he wants me to succeed there for I know I will get a job" and then continue to sit on my butt from now on happy in the knowledge that because I have faith, the Lord is gonna drop a job in my lap, or cause one to knock on my door. :) It's enough for me just to believe and have faith, right?
Meh!
"Even the devils believe... and they tremble..."

James 2:18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

I don't think believing is enough. I think a strong enough belief which brings about action consistant with committment of faith that results in "good fruits" is the whole point of faith. Or else why bother?

"For as the body without the spirit is dead, so are faith without works dead."

Living faith is what builds up the Kingdom of God. I think anything else is fooling yourself and Dissin the Lord.

No comments:

Big Brother, Little Sister Moments

Big Brother, Little Sister Moments
Hand in Hand

*sigh*

*sigh*
I earned some temporary wings!